A lot of factors play a role in staying healthy. In turn, good health can decrease your risk of developing certain conditions. These include heart disease, stroke, some cancers, and injuries. Learn what you can do to maintain your and your family’s health.
Path to improved health
What you eat is closely linked to your health. Balanced nutrition has many benefits. By making healthier food choices, you can prevent or treat some conditions. These include heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. A healthy diet can help you lose weight and lower your cholesterol, as well.
Get regular exercise.
Exercise can help prevent heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and colon cancer. It can help treat depression, osteoporosis, and high blood pressure. People who exercise also get injured less often. Routine exercise can make you feel better and keep your weight under control. Try to be active for 30 to 60 minutes about 5 times a week. Remember, any amount of exercise is better than none.
Lose weight if you’re overweight.
Many Americans are overweight. Carrying too much weight increases your risk for several health conditions. These include:
- high blood pressure
- high cholesterol
- type 2 diabetes
- heart disease
- some cancers
- gallbladder disease.
Being overweight also can lead to weight-related injuries. A common problem is arthritis in the weight-bearing joints, such as your spine, hips, or knees. There are several things you can try to help you lose weight and keep it off.
Protect your skin.
Sun exposure is linked to skin cancer. This is the most common type of cancer in the United States. It’s best to limit your time spent in the sun. Be sure to wear protective clothing and hats when you are outside. Use sunscreen year-round on exposed skin, like your face and hands. It protects your skin and helps prevent skin cancer. Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen that blocks both UVA and UVB rays. It should be at least an SPF 15. Do not sunbathe or use tanning booths.
Practice safe sex.
Safe sex is good for your emotional and physical health. The safest form of sex is between 2 people who only have sex with each other. Use protection to prevent sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Condoms are the most effective form of prevention. Talk to your doctor if you need to be tested for STDs.
Don’t smoke or use tobacco.
Smoking and tobacco use are harmful habits. They can cause heart disease and mouth, throat, or lung cancer. They also are leading factors of emphysema and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). The sooner you quit, the better.
Limit how much alcohol you drink.
Men should have no more than 2 drinks a day. Women should have no more than 1 drink a day. One drink is equal to 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine, or 1.5 ounces of liquor. Too much alcohol can damage your liver. It can cause some cancers, such as throat, liver, or pancreas cancer. Alcohol abuse also contributes to deaths from car wrecks, murders, and suicides.
Things to consider
In addition to the factors listed above, you should make time for whole body health. Visit your doctors for regular checkups. This includes your primary doctor, as well as your dentist and eye doctor. Let your health benefits and preventive care services work for you. Make sure you know what your health insurance plan involves. Preventive care can detect disease or prevent illness before they start. This includes certain doctor visits and screenings.
You need to make time for breast health. Breast cancer is a leading cause of death for women. Men can get breast cancer, too. Talk to your doctor about when you should start getting mammograms. You may need to start screening early if you have risk factors, such as family history. One way to detect breast cancer is to do a monthly self-exam.
Women should get routine pap smears, as well. Women ages 21 to 65 should get tested every 3 years. This may differ if you have certain conditions or have had your cervix removed.
Ask your doctor about other cancer screenings. Adults should get screened for colorectal cancer starting at age 50. Your doctor may want to check for other types of cancer. This will depend on your risk factors and family history.
Keep a list of current medicines you take. You also should stay up to date on shots, including getting an annual flu shot. Adults need a Td booster every 10 years. Your doctor may substitute it with Tdap. This also protects against whooping cough (pertussis). Women who are pregnant need the Tdap vaccine. People who are in close contact with babies should get it, as well.
Questions to ask your doctor
- How many calories should I eat and how often should I exercise to maintain my current weight?
- Should I have a yearly physical exam?
- What types of preventive care does my insurance cover?
- When should I start getting screened for certain cancers and conditions?
American Cancer Society, Stay Healthy
National Institute on Aging, Health and Aging
Good Health is the greatest blessing of life. Life is a weary burden to a person of broken health. The richest man with bad health always suffers and groans. He is unhappy in spite of his great wealth.
The importance of good health
Good health is very important because a person of good health can put through a large amount of work in a short time.
A person of perfect health does not shirk his duties. He can work properly and leaves nothing undone. As a student, he shines in his examinations. As a public worker, he renders valuable service and is duly rewarded.
The cultivator generally enjoys excellent health. He works in the field year in and year out and produces plentiful crops.
A sound mind in a sound body is a very popular and wise saying. A person in the pink of health enjoys all the good things of life. He finds vigor and strength to do his work. He relishes the food he takes. He feels life in every limb.
He keeps a cheerful temper and goes through life’s journey with joy.
Therefore, good health is a priceless blessing in life. The famous saying ‘Health is Wealth‘ highlights the importance of good health in our life.
Also read: Short Paragraph on Importance of Good Health
Top ways to maintain good health
1. Physical exercise: Good health can be gained and preserved by plenty of exercise in the open air. They may take exercise in any gymnasium regularly. However, too much of exercise is bad and harmful. Physical exercise should be taken regularly and only for a short period.
2. Early morning walk: We should get up early and take a brisk walk.
3. Play: Younger men may play football or cricket and any outdoor game. They may swim or row boats.
4. Balanced diet: Our diet should be balanced. We should take proper food. Ordinary, food that we take is enough for health, if we take it fresh and in proper quantity. Too much eating in extremely bad for health. The food that we eat is to be taken in regular hours. Another important thing about food is that we should not bolt our meals. Food taken hurriedly is not well digested.
5. Proper rest and sleep: Another thing about health is that we should rest and sleep in time. Early to bed and early to rise is the golden rule of health. A person, who labors too hard may ruins health soon.
6. Keep anxieties away: The essential thing for staying in good health is to free the mind from cares and anxieties as far as possible. A care-worn man cannot enjoy his rest or sleep soundly at night.
Category: Essays, Paragraphs and Articles