Are you just beginning your programming career? To be a successful candidate for programming jobs, resume expert Kim Isaacs says it helps to have a comprehensive resume. For ideas, check out this sample resume for an entry-level computer programmer that Isaacs created below, or download the entry-level computer programmer resume template. Additionally, you can search for computer programmer jobs on Monster.
ENTRY-LEVEL COMPUTER PROGRAMMER
- Honors student of ABC University’s BS in IT program. Academic credentials are reinforced by programming experience gained during internship with ABC Company.
- Consistently commended by professors and internship supervisorfor programming abilities, grasp of multiple technologies and attention to detail.
- Strong knowledge of object-oriented programing and application development tools using Microsoft VB.Net, C#, .Net, C++, ASP.Net; Python and VBA.
- Known as a self-starter, team player and multitasker--strive to consistently exceed expectations.
ABC UNIVERSITY - Sometown, NH
Bachelor of Science, Major in Information Technology Program, Currently Enrolled, GPA: 3.85/4.0
- Honors: Graduated cum laude (GPA: 3.53); inductee, Golden Key Honor Society; recipient, John Doe Academic Scholarship; Dean’s List, 2009, 2010, 2011.
- Senior Project: Earned “A” grade on capstone project as co-developer of Web-based, customized enterprise software solution that integrated business processes for a nonprofit organization. Delivered turnkey application that reduced manual data entry, saving hundreds of personnel hours monthly.
- Course Highlights: Enterprise Application Development, Security, Java/C/VB Programming, IT Project Management, Database Programming, Web Design, Computer Architecture
ABC Company, Sometown, NH
Computer Programmer Intern, 2016 to Present
- Handled database and Web site programming tasks (primarily using Java, C, C++, HTML and SharePoint), working an average of 15 hours per week while maintaining a 3.5 GPA.
- Redesigned Internet and intranet pages. Used SEO best practices to optimize Web site for search engine rankings and improved functionality of company database.
- Resolved memory corruption and other technical issues by leveraging strengths in coding, debugging and integration testing.
- Volunteered during summers for Habitat for Humanity and ABC Homeless Shelter.
Program your resume for greatness
Once your resume is polished and ready to go, you need to get it in front of hiring managers for you to have the best chance of scoring an entry level computer programmer job. Need some help getting exposure? Join Monster today. As a member, you can get job alerts sent straight to your inbox to cut down on the time spent searching for the right job. And you can upload up to five versions of your resume—each tailored to the kinds of programming jobs that interest you. Recruiters search Monster every day looking to fill top jobs with qualified candidates, just like you.
As the computer science resume samples indicate, there are two basic ways to organize a resume: the chronological and functional formats. The chronological configuration records work history, training, education, and everything else in reverse chronological order from the most recent to the experience farthest in the past.
The functional arrangement, though, is not necessarily ordered by date. Instead, this format is focused on highlighting your most important and applicable qualities as they relate to the position youre applying for.
For the most part, the chronological arrangement is the most widely used one, and people who use this format tend to be individuals who specifically followed a traditional career path.
On the other hand, individuals for whom the functional arrangement may be most fitting are those who didn’t necessarily set out pursuing a career in the industry, but who nonetheless have the experience and capabilities to satisfy the occupations obligations. The functional resume format is more adaptable than the chronological one since you can explain how experiences and accomplishments qualify you for the position youre seeking.