Belize Dolphin Studies
My Biggest Fear, by Wynona B
In my 10th grade Biology class we were asked to make a list of our biggest fears, and why we thought we were so scared of them. My top three were anacondas, sharks, and darkness. In my evaluation, I concluded that I was afraid of these three things because of sense of vulnerability, not knowing what to do if I was attacked. That was the reason I tried to avoid facing those fears as much as possible.
However I discovered something else in 10th grade, something that meant a lot more to me than any of those fears. I discovered my passion for marine life. That year I took a 3-week college level marine biology course in Belize, studying dolphins. It was a big step for me, because we went scuba diving every other day, and the thought of what lurked in the open ocean frightened me. It turned out to be almost the greatest experience of my life. It opened my eyes to the beauty of the ocean and all that inhabit it. It introduced me to all the concerns and threats that marine life face every day. It inspired me to help out as much as I can. It did not however, involve any encounters with sharks. An amazing man named Ric O’Barry once said, “Dolphins are cursed with the appearance of always smiling so that we cannot detect their inner pain”. He had dedicated his life to exposing the cruelty dolphins were subjected to in Taiji, Japan, which is why he is one of my greatest inspirations.
When I read this, I realized that maybe sharks were victims to this façade as well. Maybe they were not the cold-blooded killers everyone said they were. It was time for me to face my fear. I now viewed it as an impetus to exceed, rather than a reason to hide. The next day, I signed my self up for a course in Fiji similar to the one in Belize; however, this one focused solely on sharks.
It was a hot summer day in Fiji. The water was clear enough that you could see the dozens of sharks prowling beneath my still feet on the dive boat. My breath was sporadic and harsh as I gasped with every shark arrival. I quivered with every step towards the edge. My cheeks were as red as the blood I imagined shooting out of my bitten-off leg. As I reached the exit of the boat, it was as if everything had frozen, except for the taunting dorsal fins of my biggest fear. I took what I thought would be my final breath, and jumped into my real-life nightmare.
As I descended into the feeding frenzy of bull sharks, I could not wipe the smile off my face. These misunderstood creatures swam with such vigor and beauty, words I never would have used to describe a shark’s behavior. I could watch these powerful yet serene animals swim for hours. My air tank, however, was rapidly running out. 45 minutes later, using my four intact limbs, I climbed back onto the dive boat. Eager to make sure I was okay, my dive master rushed to my side and asked how I was. I replied, “Sharks are my new favorite animal” and then walked away feeling prouder than ever. My fear was gone, and replaced with an immense desire to protect these animals and help change their horrid reputation.
The next three weeks were filled with the most enjoyable academic experiences. I had conquered my fear, and broke past the barriers that were preventing me from expanding my options as a future marine biologist. I learned all about sharks and became fascinated with them. I’ve learned now to find beauty were others may not seek it, and to help expose it’s true magnificence to the world. Sharks, along with most marine life, are in trouble and in need of help. I know that I want to dedicate my life saving the marine world, and I am looking forward to preparing myself in college greatly.
Signing off, Wynona B
Anti Essays offers essay examples to help students with their essay writing.
Our collection includes thousands of sample research papers so you can find almost any essay you want.
Biggest Fear Essays and Research Papers
- Biggest Fear Essay
- Biggest Fear Essay My biggest fear is death. The day we are born is the day we begin to die. There is an unsettling feeling that...
- Words: 567 — Pages: 3
- What It Your Biggest Fear?
- to the dentist. As for me, I can surely admit that my biggest fear is without any doubt reptiles. Every fear has its cause, and mine is not an exception. It all...
- Words: 836 — Pages: 4
- Biggest Fears About University And How To Tackle Them
- able to handle the harder courses. Okay, so here is the root of your fear. Youre right, first year university courses are often a lot more challenging than expected...
- Words: 649 — Pages: 3
- Biggest Fear
- to change it before. That didn't last long though. So yesterday, I realized that my greatest fear, is dying too young, or being in so much pain so young, for stupid...
- Words: 539 — Pages: 3
- Fear Of The Unkown
- from being scared is generally common amongst everyone. I too have fears of my own. My biggest fear is that I dread presenting in front of individuals who I dont...
- Words: 591 — Pages: 3
- on their experiences in life. Personally, my biggest fear right now is the thought of loosing my sister. This fear is really meaningful because my life has changed...
- Words: 562 — Pages: 3
- My Hopes And Fears For The Next 5 Years Of My Life
- think about my fears. In fact, I dont really know how much fear do I have and what is my biggest fear. I dont think that thinking about your fear can help you...
- Words: 1085 — Pages: 5
- a big role in fear because it forces me to predict on what is going to happen next and what the consequences are. All in all, my biggest fear is heights for several...
- Words: 361 — Pages: 2
- Anticipated Fear
- the latter etc. All these fears kept creeping up on me the whole day and lead to me not being able to fall asleep. But one of my biggest fears is that what if I let...
- Words: 1316 — Pages: 6
- Fear Flying Away
- was so proud of his mom and I was secretly proud of myself. I had faced my biggest fear and I feel a bit stronger. Not because I ventured up in the air, but because...
- Words: 874 — Pages: 4
- Greek Mythology: Fear Of The Unknown
- shows it is never smart to be greedy. Today, one of peoples biggest fears is death. The fear of the unknown is horrifying and a subject that people often push to...
- Words: 1839 — Pages: 8
- Discursive Writing In 1984, Are Orwell's Fears Purely About Stalinist Russia?
- only fear for the future. When we examine the opinions and life of George Orwell, it is not so surprising that Stalinist Russia can be seen as his biggest fear...
- Words: 1005 — Pages: 5
- Alexandra Mendoza Mrs. Dunbar English 11 Honors 11/3/14 My biggest fear makes me my whole body steam and causes my legs to shiver and I start to murmur to anyone...
- Words: 1314 — Pages: 6
- Dear Tim o?Brien
- we dont appreciate what those soldiers are doing for us. Mr. OBrien, what was your biggest fear out there? How did you feel when you knew the you had to go to the...
- Words: 466 — Pages: 2
- Our Sick Society
- Our Sick Society Rape has been the biggest fear that a woman could face ever since the very first rape occurred. We fear rape in the workplace, on the commute home...
- Words: 1666 — Pages: 7
- English Essay ?City Of The Beasts?
- the stronger character can become frightened once she is put up to her biggest fear. A big trademark in Nadias character are her beliefs towards the spiritual world...
- Words: 1589 — Pages: 7
- The Lesson
- her day. But her biggest fear and reconciliation comes from Sugar, who not only answers the questions of Miss Moor, but also voices out the fears and concerns of all...
- Words: 783 — Pages: 4
- a Second Thought
- it is just easy for them since they are the ones operating it. Third, the biggest fear that the ID system may bring is that What happens when innocent people fits...
- Words: 1286 — Pages: 6
- Anorexia: Assessment And Treatment
- She voiced a strong sense of obligation to please her parents and stated that her biggest fear was disappointing them. Meg reported that she was not fat as a child...
- Words: 2298 — Pages: 10
- As soon as I got over in front of the car I was relieved but then my biggest fear hit me and my sister. We were now swerving very intensely and I was thinking in my...
- Words: 1641 — Pages: 7
- Pablo Escobar
- Avianca jet blew up in mid-air killing all 110 passengers and crew. Escobars biggest fear was being extradited to the United States so he planned the attack on the...
- Words: 1643 — Pages: 7
- Masculinity In Things Fall Aprt
- are or turn you into the exact person you dont want to be. Okonkwos biggest fear shouldnt have been ending up like his father but more so becoming himself...
- Words: 1316 — Pages: 6
- The Hero's Journey
- you think we are any further? Have we reached our goal? (16). Siddhartha's biggest fear was that there is a good chance he might not be able to achieve enlightenment...
- Words: 1071 — Pages: 5
- children using online community websites. Myspace.com was one of the parents biggest fears due to the unsafe people searching, picture viewing, and profile posting...
- Words: 618 — Pages: 3
- Leadership Skills
- the field of leadership researchers could benefit from the work was critical. My biggest fear was that the work would be buried in not readily available technical...
- Words: 2216 — Pages: 9
- The Red Badge Of Courage
- he joins, he is stationed in Virginia and it is nothing like he expected. His biggest fear is being attacked by the enemy and the thought of deserting occurs to him...
- Words: 852 — Pages: 4
- The Life Of a Teacher
- happened within my first grade year. When I made the call to Mrs. Archer my biggest fear was that she wouldnt remember who I was. The first time I called, I had to...
- Words: 1432 — Pages: 6
- College Essay
- was alone. Traveling to the competition meant that I had to face two of my biggest fears: going on an airplane and being alone. Because my parents had to work, they...
- Words: 1065 — Pages: 5
- The Fuhrer's Promise: Germany
- Hitler did not perceive the economy as the biggest issue to be dealt with after ... front to produce food for the soldiers feared that they would lose not only their...
- Words: 4853 — Pages: 20
- Bombs Away
- High school has always been a fear of mine. It has been one of my biggest fears. As I became older I became more afraid because I was getting closer to entering high...
- Words: 467 — Pages: 2